Engineer, Summer intern
CF Industries Holdings
At CF Industries, our mission is to provide clean energy to feed and fuel the world sustainably. Our employees are focused on safe and reliable operations, environmental stewardship, and disciplined capital and corporate management. By joining CF, you will be part of a team that brings their varied experiences, wide-ranging knowledge and diverse talents together to deliver important work and you’ll be able to pursue complex, exciting opportunities that help you continue to grow and achieve your potential in different areas. You’ll take pride in working for a company that lives its values and where you can be yourself at work, as part of an authentic team that encourages you to share your views and opinions. Our eight manufacturing complexes in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, an unparalleled storage, transportation and distribution network in North America, and logistics capabilities enabling a global reach underpin our strategy to leverage our unique capabilities to accelerate the world’s transition to clean energy.
Job Summary:This is a safety sensitive position that is responsible for completing multiple projects over the course of the summer internship. This can result in the engineer identifying an opportunity for improvement, recommending a solution, and directing implementation of the change. The engineer intern has a direct impact upon organizational success by assisting in safety improvements, process optimization, reliability improvement, environmental compliance, and by supporting other CF Industries objectives.
See what your future holds.
CF industries’ mission is to provide clean energy to feed and fuel the world sustainably. Our focus on building a culture of quality work, long-term thinking, and supportive communities means we offer the perfect place to learn and get better at what you do, while having a positive impact on the world.
You are smart, ethical and a lot of people consider you resourceful. When you join CF industries, you will be part of a team that brings their varied experiences, wide-ranging knowledge, and diverse talents together to deliver important work, and you’ll be able to pursue complex, exciting opportunities that help you continue to grow and achieve your potential in different areas.
What you’ll do - Example Activities:
1. Manages projects to completion requiring working with multidisciplinary teams, gathering process information, performing engineering calculations, and presenting project results and recommendations.
2. Implement recommendations using plant Management of Change (MOC) process.
3. Assisting Process and Reliability Engineers with day to day tasks.
4. Monitors key operating parameters to identify trends and to recommend changes. This includes maintaining turbine and compressor efficiencies, machine tribology data, cooling water surveys, catalyst surveys, DCS trends, and laboratory results.
5. Coordination with assigned Process Safety Management related activities:
- Initiates and follows up on assigned MOC submittals.
- Develops and organizes Process Safety Information in a way easily understood by production and maintenance technicians.
- Participate in departmental Process Hazard Analyses.
- Develops, reviews, and updates Mechanical Integrity Procedures based on plant changes or safety/reliability improvements.
- Assists in training operators on process changes.
6. Evaluates production technician suggestions and shares that evaluation with the suggestion originator, whether accepting the idea or not.
7. Assists in planning and implementation of plant projects.
8. Supports planning and execution activities for unit maintenance Turnarounds.
9. Other duties as assigned by the plant’s Engineers.
- Enrolled in an accredited Chemical or Mechanical Engineering Program, preferably with previous co-op or intern experience.
- Proficient in basic computer software such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Project; Avantis [or other similar work management information systems (WMIS)]. Prefer experience with process simulation software like Aspen or Hysys.
- Ability to make verbal and written presentations to communicate ideas effectively.
- Expected to effectively communicate with outside vendors and contractors.
- Become knowledgeable in the plant processes, plant specifications, and materials of construction.
Total Rewards at CF
CF is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating an inclusive workforce where everyone is valued. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, creed or religion, age, disability (including pregnancy), results of genetic testing, service in the military, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
- CF Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Employees in the US can learn more about their rights by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster (PDF) and others as detailed below:
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Employees in Canada can learn more about their rights by viewing the “Canadian Human Rights Act”.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at CF Industries, or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call 847-405-2400 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.